The Atelier was hosted by Meraner Musikwochen / Settimane Musicali Meranesi in collaboration with Italiafestival. 22 participants from 14 different countries took part for the 7-day training programme during which they discussed various aspects of festival management with 8 renowned festival managers from pioneering festivals and outstanding art centres and institutes from all over the world.
High-level festival managers from across the globe
Under the coordination of Hugo De Greef, leading and experienced festival operators, professionals and artists from all over the world, guided the participants through the seven days. Mentors and presenters, pioneering festival managers, gave lectures, lead workshops and took part in round tables and debates – all of them have spent several days with the participants allowing face-to-face contacts and discussions.
The following festival directors participated in the Atelier Merano 2017:
- Bernard Faivre D’Arcier, President Lyon Biennial, former longstanding Director Avignon Festival – France
- Rose Fenton, Director Free Word, co-founder of The Festival Academy – UK
- Nele Hertling, Member Strategy Group “A Soul for Europe”, Former Vice-President of the Academy of Arts Berlin, Former Director Hebbel-Theater Berlin – Germany)
- Marta Keil, Curator, dramaturg and researcher – Poland
- Gundega Laivina, Director New Theatre Institute of Latvia, Artistic & Managing Director of Homo Novus, former member artistic board of Riga – European Cultural Capital 2014 – Latvia
- Michał Merczyński, Director Malta Festival Poznań and Nostalgia Festival Poznań – Poland
- Roberto Naccari (General Manager Santarcangelo Festival – Italy).
Find more about the presenters here.
Intense 7-day programme
The programme of the Atelier Merano aimed to foster cultural exchanges, and support participants in developing their personal projects through lectures, debates, small topic-based working groups, practical activities and case studies. Exchanges with artists and leading cultural institutions from the region were an excellent opportunity to link insights gained in the working sessions with the concrete environment.
Check out the full 7-day programme.
- Facebook photo gallery
- Opening Ceremony Keynote speech of Ms. Marta Keil, Curator, dramaturg and researcher – Poland
- Opening Ceremony Speech of Ms. Inge Ceustermans, Managing Director The Festival Academy
- Closing Ceremony Speech of Ms. Carolina Courbis from The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama in the United Kingdom, participant of the Atelier Merano 2017
- Jade Adamson's blog post about her experience in the Atelier merano.