The programme is addressed at emerging festival managers or those who have ambitions to get involved in programming in festivals. Participants broaden their programming skills, widen their horizons, and develop new project ideas under the professional guidance of renowned festival managers from all over the world who share their rich experience and guide participants throughout the 7 days. The Atelier focuses on the very essence of festival management – the arts, the artist and the audience.
The Atelier is about the participants!
The programme focuses on topics and issues raised by the selected participants which are further developed during the Atelier: with panel discussions guided by renowned festival leaders and cross-sector experts from across the globe, in small working groups, thematic lunches, cross-discipline round tables and plenary sessions. There is plenty of time and space for official and informal one-to-one talks during the programme and during meals and cultural visits as the sharing of experiences and networking are key to the Atelier.
Topics to be explored could be amongst others:
- Different models of curating, focusing on building audiences/communities
- Innovation and new technologies
- The social, environmental and artistic impact of festivals: how festivals are/can be agents for social change and social cohesion
- Fundraising (beyond subventions)
- How and if festivals can contribute to strengthening global identities and values and tackle rising nationalism
- Fair international collaboration (and trade) including the UNESCO 2005 Convention for the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions
- Festivals and migrant/refugees communities
- Sustainable festival-making on all levels
- Freedom of expression and the relevance of artistic boycott
All these food-for-thought and conversations will be developed in close relation with our partners and the context in which the Atelier takes place, serving as a source of inspiration and discussions by meeting local actors.
To have an even better idea of what the Atelier is about, you can have a look at the programmes of our last Atelier (Atelier Düsseldorf/Theater der Welt 2021) and our last online Tailor-Made Atelier (Elefsina-Beirut, Module I, 2021). You can also watch livestreams of our previous digital sessions, as well as recordings from our in-person Ateliers, on our YouTube channel.