Application, selection & fees
Application & Selection Procedure
The Festival Academy calls for applications for the Atelier for Young Festival Managers Düsseldorf. Up to 35 participants will be selected for the 7-day training programme.
Please don’t hesitate to contact The Festival Academy for further information on the application & selection procedure.
Young festival managers from across the globe are invited to apply here by 30 November!
Good to know:
- There is no age limit, but it may be interesting to know that the average age of Atelier participants (from experience of past editions) is 35
- excellent knowledge of English (working language of the Atelier)
- be supported by a festival, a cultural venue or another initiative in the cultural sector; or
- be supported by a training/academic institute (study module); or
- proof future employment in the field; or
- demonstrate strong personal arguments and motives.
- deal with one or more artistic disciplines within a festival or
- have a basic practical knowledge in festival operation
- demonstrate the ambition to deepen their skills in the field of programming or in a department closely related to it;
- prove that a study course (already completed or due to be completed) is in line with the Atelier; or
- give evidence of his/her ambition to work in the festival business or cultural field.
The fee includes accommodation for seven nights, registration, working documents, access to all sessions, meals and drinks, receptions, local transport, cultural and artistic programme, and follow–up activities.
- Full course fee: €2100
- Reduced course fee for EFA member festivals: €1600
Following selection, Atelier participants will receive a request of payment for the full amount, with a request to pay an advance sum of 300 Euro (non-refundable) within 10 days of receiving the selection letter. The remaining 1800 Euro (for non-EFA members) or 1300 Euro (for individual EFA members) has to be paid as indicated on the request of payment. Please ensure that EFA receives the contribution net. The participant is in charge of bank costs related to international payment. Travel expenses and insurance are the responsibility of the participant.
The Festival Academy will assist as much as possible with visa issues and other permissions in preparation for the Atelier.
Funding opportunities for a training programme such as the Atelier are numerous at local/national level.
The Festival Academy advises applicants to start researching funding opportunities at national and international level from the moment they apply. You can have a look at general information and previous examples of participants’ funding and funding institutes here.
The Festival Academy has formed long-term partnerships with the following organisation to support prospective participants:
- Belgian festival managers who work for an organisation that belongs to PC304 can use the sectoral training grant from ‘Sociaal Fonds voor de Podiumkunsten’ to fund part of their participation in the Atelier. For more information visit www.podiumkunsten.be or contact Christa Criel at Christa.Criel@podiumkunsten.be
- Two Festival Managers working in the Arab Region can receive support in the framework of the partnership between The Arab Fund for Arts & Culture (AFAC) and The Festival Academy (an initiative of the European Festivals Association) to give more festival managers from the Arab region the chance to participate in the Ateliers for Young Festival Managers. Please find here the list of countries that are eligible to apply. You need to be a citizen of one of the listed countries or regions but you need not necessarily reside or be employed there to be eligible. The applications will be evaluated by an expert from both AFAC and The Festival Academy.
- Greek Festival Managers have the opportunity to receive support from ELEUSIS 2021 European Capital of Culture. You can find out more about ELEUSIS 2021 here. For more information contact: Angeliki Lampiri Director of Cultural Strategy Eleusis 2021 European Capital of Culture at firstname.lastname@example.org The applications will be evaluated by an expert from both ELEUSIS 2021 and The Festival Academy.
- Selected South-Korean participants can be considered for support by the Korean Arts Council. For more information about the Council, please click here.