Application & Selection
Application & Selection Procedure
The Festival Academy calls for applications for the Atelier for Young Festival Managers in Valletta. Up to 35 participants will be selected for the 7-day training programme during which they will discuss artistic festival management with ten renowned festival directors. Please don’t hesitate to contact The Festival Academy for further information on the application & selection procedure.
Young festival managers from across the globe are invited to apply here by 19 October 2018.
The following application criteria will be applied (not cumulative):
Good to know:
- average age of Atelier participants (from experience of past editions) is 35
- excellent knowledge of English (working language of the Atelier)
- be supported by a festival, a cultural venue or another initiative in the cultural sector; or
- be supported by a training/academic institute (study module); or
- proof future employment in the field; or
- demonstrate strong personal arguments and motives.
- deal with one or more artistic disciplines within a festival or
- have a basic practical knowledge in festival operation
- demonstrate the ambition to deepen their skills in the field of programming or in a department closely related to it;
- prove that a study course (already completed or due to be completed) is in line with the Atelier; or
- give evidence of his/her ambition to work in the festival business or cultural field.
The fee includes accommodation for seven nights, registration, working documents, access to all sessions, meals and drinks, receptions, local transport, cultural and artistic programme, and follow–up activities.
- Full course fee: €2100
- Reduced course fee for EFA member festivals: €1300
Following selection, Atelier participants will receive a request of payment for the full amount, with a request to pay an advance sum of 300 Euro (non-refundable) within 10 days of receiving the selection letter. The remaining 1800 Euro (for non-EFA members) or 1000 Euro (for individual EFA members) has to be paid as indicated on the request of payment. Please ensure that EFA receives the contribution net. The participant is in charge of bank costs related to international payment. Travel expenses and insurance are the responsibility of the participant.
The Festival Academy will assist as much as possible with visa issues and other permissions in preparation for the Atelier.
Funding opportunities for a training programme such as the Atelier are numerous at local/national level. The Festival Academy advises applicants to start researching funding opportunities at national and international level from the moment they apply. You can have a look at general information and previous examples of participants’ funding and funding institutes here.
Or you can have a look at a funding guide that is specific to Africa here.
IETM has published a guide as well on their website to funding opportunities for arts and culture.
The Festival Academy has formed long-term partnerships with the following organisations to support prospective participants:
- Selected Japanese participants can be considered for support by the EU-Japan Fest Committee. Find more information about the process here.
- Selected South-Korean participants can be considered for support by the Korean Arts Council. For more information about the Council, please click here.
- Belgium Young festival managers who work for an organisation that belongs to PC304 can use the sectoral training grant from ‘Sociaal Fonds voor de Podiumkunsten’ to fund part of their participation in the Atelier. For more information visit www.podiumkunsten.be or contact Christa Criel at Christa.Criel@podiumkunsten.be
- In the framework of the partnership between The Arab Fund for Arts & Culture (AFAC) and The Festival Academy (an initiative of the European Festivals Association) to give more festival managers from the Arab region the chance to participate in the Ateliers for Young Festival Managers, AFAC will support two emerging festival directors working in the Arab region to take part in the next Atelier for Young Festival Managers taking place in Valletta, Malta, 23-29 March 2019. Festival managers from the region are now invited to apply by filling in the application form here. Deadline 15 September 2018! Please find here the list of countries that are eligible to apply. You need to be a citizen of one of the listed countries or regions but you need not necessarily reside or be employed there to be eligible. The applications will be evaluated by an expert from both AFAC and The Festival Academy. Selection results will be communicated by 30 September 2018.